Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Holy Crap, Wolves!


Today was a beautiful day on the Palouse. Finally, FINALLY, the sun was shining, and it was a balmy 65 degrees this evening when I left the house for a run. Eden Valley was again my destination, and I was looking forward to a lovely evening. I parked in the usual place, happy to note that no one else was parked there, ensuring me an evening of near solitude. I happily hooked up my iPhone to my little arm band, picked an awesome playlist, and set off for a 45 minute run in the amazing weather. I still had an hour of sunlight, easily.

Only 1 mile into my run, I felt a small amount of pain in my ankle. I knew I had twisted it a little at work on Saturday, so I was wearing a small support brace. My right ankle has always been a traitorous wench, weakening at the slightest stressor, so I know how to handle its persnickity ways. I focused on proper form, and felt the tension ease up. I came to the top of the first hill and began my joyous, full out run down the other side, when I felt a sharp and sudden pain in my right heel. The next few steps were excruciating. Recognising that this was not something that was going to go away after a few strides, I slowed to a walk. The pain was intense enough to make me realise that I was not going to even be able to walk back to my car.

Sadly, I hobbled back up the hill where I miraculously had cell service. I called my hubby, but alas, he was oustside, and since AT&T completely sucks around here, I coudln't reach him. Next I tried my friend, Tina, who answered and did not hesitate to tell me she would be right there to rescue my sorry self from the side of the road.

Happy that I would soon get a ride back to my car, I sat down on the side of the road and enjoyed the view of the valley. I could see the black cows lying down by the fence, contendidly napping. A small movement on the hillside above the cattle herd caught my eye and I focused on it. The creature was moving down the hillside across the river from my spot at a rapid pace. At first I thoguht it was a deer, then a coyote. Suddenly, all the cows sprang up and ran franticallly down the valley to the other side of their pasture. I looked at the small figure on the hillside again, and watched as it sat down, lifted it's face to the sky and let out a "woooooooooooooooooo", which was quickly answered by another soft howl.

My heart sank and shivers ran down my spine as I realized that the mystery creature was not a coyote, it was a wolf. Just today I had asked a friend if wolves eat people. She assured me that they don't unless they are really really hungry. In a panic, I stood up, of course instantly attracting the wolf's attention. My friend was not there yet to pick me up, and I have to admit I was a little worried.

I was scared, and very concerned about being trapped between two wolves. I'm pretty sure this wolf did not want to eat me, but you never really know. Especially when it is getting dark, and familiar woods fill with strange noises and shadows. Finally Tina showed up, and I lost track of the brown wolf, but it didn't matter to me as I was safely in her car.

I went right home, propped up my sore foot and piled on the ice. Friends heard about my ordeal, and quickly dropped by with beer. So much for a good workout! At least I got in some "carbo loading".

My heel is still pretty sore today, so I'm going to have to take a few days off from training. I really hope that this is not going to cause me problems in training for the big day. Hopefully it stops hurting by Sunday, and I will be back on track.

Time: 15 minutes
Distance: 1.3 miles

Fave song tonight "Hungry like the Wolf" by Duran Duran

Silly thought of the day: "My obituary is going to be so super awesome. Who gets eaten by wolves, really?"

No comments:

Post a Comment