
It is still snowing. I feel like I can't remember a time when it wasn't snowing. Over a foot of fluffy whiteness as far as the eye can see. A lonely expanse, desert like in its desolation. Will it ever stop? Or is this the end, the apocalypse in cold frozen form rather than fire and brimstone?
Wil says I'm being dramatic. Ok, so it has only been snowing for three days, but it seriously feels like an eternity! Provisions of beer and bacon are low, thus moral has followed suit. The children have been home from school for days and have informed me that they have played with every single one of their toys and watched all of their good movies. If I hear Spongebob's maniacal laugh one more time I might just jump through the TV and throttle the little bugger.
Apparently I don't do cooped up very well. Friends are merrily posting on Facebook about how much they love being snowed in. How joyful it is to stay in their pj's, surrounded by their loving and well mannered families, playing board games and sipping cocoa, like a sweet Norman Rockwell painting. Me? I am pacing the house like a caged animal, swinging wildly between bouts of extreme housecleaning and melodramatic flops onto the couch to stare mournfully out the window at our road.
While normal people are sitting at the table, playing games, or lovingly perusing family photo albums, this is me:
Wistfully staring out, wondering when I will be able to run outside again without a snowsuit.I'm going to openly admit something here. I love my children, fiercely of course. I enjoy reading to them, letting them help in the kitchen, and doing craft projects. I like to help Lola with her homework, and watch Rowan's little hot wheels car shows. I like to snuggle with them on the couch watching movies, and I like to play outside with them, even in this disgusting snow. That being said, I do not enjoy doing these things all day long non-stop for days in a row. That requires more wine than I currently have stashed in the basement.
There is a certain amount of guilt carried over this revelation, but it is balanced out a bit by the fact that my kids are a lot like myself when cooped up for too long. In fact, yesterday despite being outside for hours in the snow, making snowmen and riding the snowmobile in a desperate attempt to wear them down enough to nap, they still acted like howler monkeys on crack right up until bedtime. This despite fresh air, making home made soft pretzels, watching a good movie, and taking long bathroom drenching bubble baths.
Apparently the apples have not fallen far from the tree.
Don't worry kids, I am going to bust us out of here. We will make our escape into the free world. And if not? Well, Daddy has the day off so go get him!
No comments:
Post a Comment